Sunday, January 14, 2007

UDCAV



The UDCAV, the unwieldy device for capturing analog video is complete! Constructed of the finest garbage scavenged from only the best dumpsters, combined with some of the finest consumer electronics that Goodwill has to offer, this electromechanical marvel is sure to revolutionize the living room of the house I am house sitting in.

The udcav is a device that I built in order to help me satisfy the requirements of a class I am taking. I never meant for it to have a very practical purpose, but it works like this:
An old color television picture tube is crammed into an 8 by 10 inch copy camera bellows. My trusty calumet 4x5 view camera is focused on the television screen through the bellows. When the view camera is loaded with film, I wont be able to see what is displayed on the TV screen, so on top on the whole thing, I have mounted a VCR, with a POS black and white TV on top of that. This way, I can watch the black and white "viewing screen" and hit the shutter release whenever I would like to capture the image. I am also in the process of attaching an oscilloscope so that I can also photograph the waveform of what the TV subject is saying, and a vectorscope, because they make pretty shapes.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude mannn this is sooo cool. I would like love to have this!!

Toni

Anonymous said...

Joe, this is one of your best inventions yet. I’m really impressed with this project. Now you can take pictures of commander Worf in action!